Friday, February 5, 2010

Here's another one for your files...

Mirliton!!?

Lord, I cook A LOT, and I feel like I know a lot of random ingredients, but in my continued hunt for Cajun recipes, I came across a few calling for Mirlitons...

So it's off to google I go. Love google!!


"Mirlitons (pronounced MEL-lee-tawns or MER-lee-tawns) are a type of squash found growing wild and in backyards throughout southern Louisiana. They're pale green, with a delicate flavor and a large, dense central seed. In other parts of the country, they're called chayote squash."


And there you have it. A big green fist, I mean SQUASH.
Now back to recipe hunting....

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I love chayote!!! My Mom Mom used to have one of these growing all up the side of her house. She would cut it in half and roast it with some salt, pepper and butter. It was good! But I haven't made one as an adult so I'm not sure if she did anything else to it. If you can figure out how you like it, it might be a nice addition to your veggie rotation :)

Amy said...

Interesting! I will have to try it if I can find one at Publix! I knew what chayote was, but I had never heard of mirlitons! Roasted chayote sounds good!!