Saturday, February 27, 2010

(41) French Onion Burgers

For all of the cooking that I do, one of the things that I do NOT own is a cast iron skillet. I used to have one, but I have no idea where it came from (a roommate or old boyfriend, likely) and it was rusty. YUCK. I need to buy myself one for recipes just like this.... anybody have one they love?

In any case, I just used my grill pan, which worked fine! The burgers were nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I was not sure about the salting step and the burgers were a touch salty for my taste. I can appreciate what the salt does (helps the crust form), so I'd just cut it down a little next time. We really liked this recipe and I will repeat it!

Oh and for your diet minded people out there - you must fight the temptation to buy leaner beef!!!! Did you hear me?! You need ground round. That's 85/15. No leaner or your burgers will crumble. Ok!? :) It's worth it, I promise!



French Onion Burgers

Source: Cooking Light, MARCH 1997
Yield: 4 servings

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 pound ground round
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
4 (1 1/2-ounce) French bread rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted
4 teaspoons fat-free French or blue cheese salad dressing

Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Spoon onion into a bowl; let cool.

Add beef, pepper, and egg white to onion, and stir well. Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping into 3/4-inch-thick patties.

Sprinkle salt evenly over surface of skillet. Heat salt in skillet over high heat 2 minutes. Add patties; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Place patties on bottom halves of rolls; top each with 1 teaspoon French dressing and top halves of buns.

CALORIES 340 (21% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 2.4g,mono 3g,poly 1.8g); IRON 3.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 40mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.1g; SODIUM 957mg; PROTEIN 31.6g; FIBER 2.3g

No comments: