Sunday, January 10, 2010

(9) Better than Mom's Meatloaf

Three things you need to know:
1) My mom never made meatloaf much when we were growing up. (so I can't really say this is "better than mom's")

2) My husband will eat most anything you feed him. Meatloaf is #1 on his list of things I am not allowed to make. Boo!

3) My husband and I have been married almost 5 yrs, together 9 years.

You can probably now deduce that I haven't eaten much meatloaf in my life. My husband is out of town overnight for a business meeting and for some reason, I felt like making meatloaf! YES! Freedom to partake! I found this recipe in my stack. It's from Weight Watchers magazine 2005. I find WW recipes either hit or miss. This one is a hit in my book. The original recipe suggests you free form the meatloaf into 2 smaller loaves, but it also gives instruction for a loaf pan, which is what I did. These are hearty, moist slices and quite flavorful! I can't believe it's less than 200 calories per serving!


Better than Mom's Mini-Meatloaves

Source: Weight Watchers Magazine, March/April 2005
Yield: 8 servings (1 slice per serving)

Well-seasoned lean ground beef and ground turkey breast combine to make two exceptionally flavorful meatloaves - one for tonight and another for the freezer.

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 pound ground lean beef (7% fat)
1/2 pound ground turkey breast
2/3 cup quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp chopped parsley (I used 2 tsp dried parsley)
1 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup ketchup

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

2) Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet; add the onion and saute until soft, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

3) Meanwhile, combine the beef, turkey, rolled oats, eggs, parsley, mustard, 2 tsp of the Worcestershire sauce, the garlic, thyme, seasoned salt, and pepper in a large bowl; stir in the onions and blend lightly with a fork (I just used my hands!). Let stand 10 minutes.

4) Shape the mixture into two (6-inch) loaves and place on the baking sheet. Combine the ketchup with the remaining teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce; brush over the top of each loaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a loaf reaches 160 degreesF, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Cook's Tip: If you prefer, the entire batch can be made in a single 9x5-inch loaf pan, sprayed with nonstick spray. Increase the cooking time to 1 hr. Slice off half the loaf and, when cool, wrap in foil and freeze.

Per Serving:
188 Calories, 8g Fat (2g Sat. Fat, 0g Trans Fat), 104mg Chol, 365 mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 1g Fiber, 20g Protein, 29mg Calcium

No comments: