Monday, January 25, 2010

(14) Roasted Potato Wedges with Rosemary Butter

I have a bad track record with oven fries. They seem so simple. They should not be hard, right!? But alas, I have screwed up more oven fries than I can remember (same with rice, but that's another story for another day!).

Anyway, this recipe IS IT. I did not measure the oil I put in the pan, I just made sure there was enough on the pan. You want to use a pan with sides... Like this one... (see how pretty my fries are!?!)



High, high heat, metal pan, metal spatula, greased pan = oven fries success!! I would never put butter on fries - I love butter, but on fries?! NO. But this was so right, so so right!! I did not feel the need to dirty a pot, so I melted the butter in a little bowl in the microwave, added the chopped rosemary, and let it sit for a few minutes. Delish delish delish!!





Roasted Potato Wedges with Rosemary Butter

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Source: Gourmet Magazine, November 2005

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lb russet (baking) potatoes (about 4 medium)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
preparation

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F. Oil bottom of a shallow baking pan (15 by 10 by 1 inch) with 1/2 tablespoon oil.

Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges and toss with salt, pepper, and remaining tablespoon oil in a large bowl. Arrange potato wedges, flat sides down, in baking pan, then cover pan tightly with foil and roast 10 minutes. Remove foil and roast 10 minutes more. Loosen potatoes with a metal spatula, then turn over onto other flat sides and roast until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.

While potatoes roast, melt butter with rosemary in a small saucepan over moderately low heat. Loosen potatoes with spatula, then transfer to a serving dish or plates and spoon rosemary butter over them.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Amy - glad they turned out for you! This is a baked oven fry recipe I have been using for years and we love it:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kathleen-daelemans/baked-smoked-chili-fries-recipe/index.html

Paige said...

Beautiful!!