Sunday, January 24, 2010

(13) Beef, Barley, and Mushroom Soup with Goat Cheese Bruschetta

January, cold, winter = soups! Of course I failed to check the weather when I picked this recipe and it was 80 degrees out today! But it still hit the spot. This made a HUMONGOUS serving (2 cups each) and wasn't too hard to put together. I let it simmer for 1.5 hours because I was waiting for my husband to get home. Delish!!

I also have to say, I was really excited to get to cook with herbs de Provence! I had bought a big bag of them when we were in Paris and forgot all about it!! So when I found them in the back of the cabinet, I was extra happy :) I love Paris!!



Beef, Barley, and Mushroom Soup with Goat Cheese Bruschetta


Source: Cooking Light, Soups and Stews
Yield: 6 servings (serving size = 1.5c soup and 1 pc bread)

2 tsp vegetable oil
2 large onions, each cut into 8 wedges
1/3 c chopped shallots
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 lb sirloin beef tips
1 (8oz) package presliced mushrooms
3 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried herbs de Provence
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 (14oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
6 (1/2") slices French Bread
cooking spray
2 oz herbed goat cheese

1) Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, shallots, and garlic; saute 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add beef and mushrooms; saute 8 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add water and next 7 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hr or until barley is tender.

2) Preheat broiler. Place bread slices on a baking sheet; lightly coat tops of bread with cooking spray. Broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Turn bread slices over, spread goat cheese evenly over bread slices. Broil until cheese begins to bubble. Cool 1 minute. Serve with soup.

Calories 321, fat 7.9g, protein 24.5g, carb 37.7g, Fiber 4.9g, chol 38mg, iron 3.5mg, sodium 777mg, calc 66mg

No comments: