Monday, September 14, 2009

Brunswick Stew

This recipe doesn't get a number because it's anything but new to me. This recipe comes out of Virginia Hospitality cookbook. My mom has been making it for years and it's my perfect comfort food. Served with some good cornbread (Jiffy brand is my favorite!), this is an excellent meal. It makes a TON, but it's worth the effort. Please don't skip the chicken cooking part!

Brunswick Stew
Source: Virginia Hospitality Cookbook – pg: 50

Amy’s Comments: I find myself adding water as this soup cooks. It's not meant to be super brothy, but if you don't add a little water here and there, you'll have a dried mess!

Recipe Comments: Vary amount of water for thick or soupy stew. Add a cup of chicken bouillon after the first or second serving (days).

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut up
1 onion, quartered
2 ribs celery, diced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
16.5 oz white shoepeg corn
10 oz frozen small butterbeans (aka lima beans to you northerners!)
1 pound canned tomatoes
2 small potatoes, cubed
1/3 cup ketchup
2-3 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 tsp Tabasco
1/4 tsp marjoram
2-3 tbsp. butter

Directions:
1. Place chicken in Dutch oven and add enough water to cover well. Add onion, celery, salt, and pepper. Boil until chicken comes off bones easily. (30-45 minutes, in my experience)

2. Remove chicken to cool and add corn, butterbeans, tomatoes, potatoes, ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar; cook 2 hours or until tender. (I normally only go about an hour here, mostly because I can't wait any longer!!)

3. Remove chicken from bones and add to vegetables along with Worcestershire, Tobasco, marjoram, and butter. (I normally let it cook 30 more minutes from this point to really meld the flavors)

Serves: 6-8 (more like 8-10 in my book)

No comments: