Thursday, August 20, 2009

(64) Southwestern Chicken Roll-Ups

I'm not a huge recipe tweaker and I certainly am not a make-it-up kind of girl. I am in awe of people who make up their own recipes. So what I say here is a rare statement from me - I'm gonna work on this one. I think this recipe has a LOT of potential, but as written, I didn't love it. It was pretty good, but has the potential to be awesome.

Next time I think I will mix the cream cheese and salsa together as well as chop up the cilantro and mix that in with it. The breadcrumbs were kind of awkward. I don't know if it needed egg wash (or salsa wash?) or maybe panko instead? In any case, I will keep you updated on my progress. I know you'll be hanging on the edge of your seats until then ;)


Southwestern Chicken Roll-Ups

This recipe is fast and easy, and I can prepare it in advance for guests. Use toothpicks to secure the chicken before dredging. -CL Reader

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 chicken roll)
Source: Cooking Light Magazine, June 2004

6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
6 tablespoons (about 3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
6 tablespoons picante sauce
6 cilantro sprigs
6 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Top each breast half with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon picante sauce, and 1 cilantro sprig. Roll up jelly-roll fashion, beginning at narrow end.

Dredge chicken rolls in breadcrumbs. Place rolls, seam sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat rolls with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 257 (20% from fat), Fat: 5.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.6g), Protein: 41.7g, Carbohydrate: 6.9g, Fiber: 0.3g, Cholesterol: 109mg, Iron: 1.6mg, Sodium: 385mg, Calcium: 40mg

No comments: