Tuesday, August 4, 2009

(59) Tex-Mex Egg Casserole

My mom has been making this for years. I've never tried it myself, but today was the magic day! I made it for a retirement brunch at work and it was a success! I love this casserole so much. Serve it with a little sour cream and mmmmmmmm a great Tex Mex breakfast! I used skim milk and next time I will try Eggbeaters just to see how that works. If you try it, please tell me what you think!

Tex-Mex Egg Casserole

8 eggs
2 c. milk (counting liquid from Rotel)
1t. salt
5 slices of bread cubed (a good layer on bottom of pan)
2 c. grated cheese (I use cheddar.)
1 can Rotel

Cube bread and place in bottom of a 13 x 9 dish sprayed with cooking spray. Drain Rotel liquid into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups of liquid. Beat eggs, liquid mixture, and salt together. Spread drained Rotel over bread layer. Sprinkle 1.5 cups of cheese over bread. Pour egg mixture over that and top w/remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350° for 30-45 min. until lightly brown on top. (The bottom tends to get too dark if left too long.) Serve with sour cream as a topping.

No comments: