Monday, December 15, 2008

Tortilla Soup

I feel like I'm on a never-ending quest for quick, easy, and healthy meals! I subscribe to 648 million magazines - 95% of which are food related. I read them or shuffle through them and then they go in this big basket in the kitchen. So my new year's resolution this year is going to be to sort through them and actually COOK from them! I've started a bit before 2009 and am starting with this winner from Eating Well Magazine's September/October 2008 issue.

This recipe fit all 3 of my needs - it was quick, easy, and healthy! AND it was darn tasty!! The chicken thigh is normally not part of my repertoire, but it was perfect in this soup - so tender! My peppers had a little kick to them, but that's ok because we like it a little spicy. I suspect I didn't do a good enough job getting the seeds out, but oh well! I served this soup with little mini cheese quesadillas that I made with the extra corn tortillas and cheese that I had! YUM!

Source: Eating Well Magazine
Yield: 6 servings (about 1 1/3 cup each)

Ingredients
8 corn tortillas, halved and thinly sliced
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 Anaheim or poblano peppers, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 tablespoons lime juice
½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until browned and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar and cilantro.

Tips
Tip: To trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, we like to use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat.

Nutrition Information
Per serving: 288 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 20 g protein; 5 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 404 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat

No comments: