This recipe comes from my maternal grandmother. I don't really have any memories of her cooking, but my mom carried this recipe on and I certainly am glad! These muffins are our traditional Christmas morning breakfast (along with scrambled eggs and bacon).
1 cup cranberries, halved
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Combine the cranberries and 1/2 cup sugar and set aside.
3) Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl.
4) Combine egg, buttermilk, and melted butter.
5) Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix until just wet.
6) Add the sugared cranberries and stir until just combined (don't overstir or the muffins will be tough!)
7) Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Yield: 12 muffins