Saturday, March 27, 2010

CSA Adventures


I am SO SO excited about this development in my cooking adventure - I finally found a CSA! We had an employee health fair at work this week and a local farm was there advertising their CSA. If you've never heard of a CSA before, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. You buy 'shares' of the farm and receive a box of fresh produce every week! So you're supporting the local farmers and getting lots of yummy (often organic) fresh produce!

So the local CSA that I'm about to join only runs from January-May. It's often unpredictable in Florida in the summer between the heat and the hurricanes, so I guess they've just decided to play it safe and do half a year. Since the season is almost over, they're allowing me to buy in for the last 2 months, which I'm excited about. I figure I can see if a whole box of produce is too much for us to eat every week (you can buy "half shares" and get a box every other week!). This farm we're joining also has grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free beef that you can buy in addition to your veggies. I can't wait to try it!

Anyway, I'm so excited to start getting fresh organic produce and to be supporting the local agriculture!! Stay tuned for some new veggies to join my rotation and for an update on how the CSA adventure is panning out!

PS: If you'd like to find a CSA in your area, you can look on this website. I hope you can find something near you! (look at this map - they're everywhere!)


PPS: My friend Stephanie writes a blog for her local CSA, The Greenling (they are in TX). You can check them out for some ideas of what CSAs send out every week. She has some great recipes there too!

No comments: