Tuesday, May 19, 2009

(35) Spicy Sausage Chili

My need for red pepper flakes has been met!! It's nasty and rainy here in FL today and even though it's May, we needed some warm comfort food. My husband suggested chili so I ran with it! I found this recipe and it's a definite keeper!!

For some reason I found myself in Food Lion (instead of my beloved Publix!) on my way home today. The stupid store only had regular (sweet) Italian turkey sausage, so I had to settle for that. To compensate, I used hot chili powder from Penzeys (I love Penzeys!!). I also used an extra 1/4 tsp of pepper flakes. The chili was spicy, but not fiery hot... It was perfect! YUM!

PS: As I typed this up, I realized I forgot the garlic! HELLO AMY?! Duh!


Spicy Sausage Chili

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Source: Cooking Light, MARCH 1998

2 cups diced onion
3/4 pound hot turkey Italian sausage, crumbled
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
2 large garlic cloves, minced

Combine diced onion and turkey sausage in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring constantly. Stir in the water and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 234 (31% from fat), Fat: 8g (sat 2.4g,mono 2.9g,poly 2.5g), Protein: 16.7g, Carbohydrate: 25.9g, Fiber: 2.9g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Iron: 3.6mg, Sodium: 628mg, Calcium: 88mg

No comments: